Absorbent & Adsorbent information
Clinoptilolite zeolite is a highly effective absorbent and adsorbent tool in removing hydrocarbons, radioactive cations, ammonia and heavy metal cations in industrial environments. Zeolite also excels in waste management and remediation solutions.
NATURAL ZEOLITE ON AMMONIA REMOVAL
Over the past several years, environmental concerns have resulted in stringent regulations regarding the management of process materials and wastes. Mining, refining and metal processing industries are under increasing pressure to develop safe and low-cost ways to treat and store contaminants.
Recent studies involving the use of clinoptilolite zeolite in waste management and remediation practices have found that it is highly effective at removing hydrocarbons, radioactive cations, ammonia and heavy metal cations in industrial environments. Essentially, zeolite functions as a molecular sieve that adsorbs, absorbs, binds and immobilizes solid particles, liquids and gases in its honeycomb structure. As a result, zeolite prevents the release of contaminant and toxins into delicate ecosystems.
Zeolite has extremely high capabilities as both an absorbent and adsorbent, meaning that liquids, gases and suspended matter adhere to the surface of its internal pores. At the same time, zeolite can soak up and assimilate molecules into its structure. These complimentary abilities work in unison to bind and contain toxins and contaminants.
Zeolite is used at sewage treatment plants to absorb contaminated liquid and adsorb the ammonia (NH3) produced by microbial activity on the liquid surface. Research conducted at ZeoliteMin Biotech. determined that clinoptilolite zeolite is highly effective in industrial applications including gas production, the absorption of chemical spills and the purification of liquids and soil. Because our zeolite deposits have the highest purity rating on the market, we guarantee that our clients receive a maximum performance product that is low cost and meets environmental regulations in any industrial setting.
THE MAJOR BENEFITS ZEOLITE AS AN ABSORBENT AND ADSORBENT
Natural zeolite binds heavy metal cations within its honeycomb structure, meaning that they are no longer water soluble. As a result, toxins are locked into the mineral’s framework without the threat of leaching back into the environment. Zeolite is also proven to absorb up to 60% of its weight in liquid and 30% of its weight in oil. Unlike clay absorbents, liquid saturation does not cause zeolite to swell or lose structural integrity. This prevents the creation of mud or a loss of traction on industrial sites.
Encapsulation refers to the process of mixing contaminants with water, zeolite and cement in order to create stable concrete blocks of disposable industrial waste. Natural zeolite acts as a molecular sieve that absorbs, stabilizes and immobilizes contaminants prior to encapsulation in the cement matrix. Its binding capabilities ensure that toxins lose their ability to leach or reduce the strength of concrete over time.The use of zeolite in encapsulation processes has passed the Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP) Test Method 1311, which is a standard designed to measure the mobility of organic and inorganic analytes in liquid and solid wastes.
|Industrial absorbent||– Adsorbs, absorbs, filters and immobilizes industrial toxins in liquids and gases
– Deodorizes by adsorbing and absorbing source gases
– Filters toxins such as sulfur dioxide (SO2) from the air
– Removes hydrogen sulfide (H2S) from sour gas
– Neutralizes hazardous materials including inverted drilling wasteand petroleum products with high saline content
– Prevents the leaching of toxins into groundwater at landfill sites
– Reduces and filters harmful odors caused by decomposition
|Radioactive waste encapsulation||– Absorbs and immobilizes of radioactive cations like cesium (Cs) and strontium (Sr)
– Proven radiation and thermal resistance
– Binds radioactive cations in nuclear wastewater and polluted soils
– Highly compatible with cement encapsulation methods
– Prevents leaching of contaminants back into the environment
– Prevents the corrosion of cement matrices created during encapsulation
|Hydrocarbon encapsulation||– Demonstrated affinity for hydrocarbons
– Absorbs hydrocarbons on contact
– High propensity for benzene (C6H6) and other aromatics
– Highly effective in the encapsulation process for drill cuttings and inverted drill fluids
– Prolonged contact with hydrocarbon contaminants results in a higher volume of contaminant absorption
|Heavy metal absorption||– Highly effective at removing contaminants from industrial and/or mine drainage
– Binds and absorbs heavy metal cations in contaminated soil and aqueous environments
– Strong adsorption and absorption capabilities prevent toxins from leaching into the environment
– Creates strong bonds with cations including lead (Pb), zinc (Zn), copper (Cu), mercury (Hg) chromium (Cr), iron (Fe), manganese (MN), aluminum (Al), silver (Ag) and cobalt (Co)
|Tailings remediation||– Removes heavy metals from waste streams and acid mine drainage
– Prevents the contamination of agricultural products or groundwater
– Highly effective at amending contaminated garden soils
– Promotes soil remediation by binding heavy metal cations
– Combats environmental problems linked to heavy metal pollution from wastewater irrigation, sewage sludge and mining practices
|Ammonia Removal||– Highly effective at binding ammonia (NH3) and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) produced at rendering plants, sewage treatment plants, water waste treatment plants and agricultural settings
– Prevents ammonia leakage into groundwater and aquifers
– Removes odor created during sewage treatment processes
– Highly effective in manure management and compost practices
– Deodorizes environments such as feedlots, barns and stables
|Chemical Spills||– Absorbs and deodorizes liquids like gasoline, oil, grease and petroleum products
– Holds up to 30% of its weight in oil
– Separates ammonia (NH3), hydrogen sulfide (H2S), carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4) and oxygen (O2) from gas streams
– Absorbs floor spills in garages or laboratories
– Proven ability to aid in clean-up processes of oil and gasoline spills
– Causes oil to coagulate so it can be skimmed off liquid surfaces
|Mold Absorption||– Deodorizes odors caused by mold growth in homes, offices and industrial settings
– Absorbs moisture and dampness in basements and attics
– Creates dry environments which prevent the growth of mildew
– Filters airborne toxins and spores
– Prevents the growth of mold inside building structures
– Prevents microcapsule membrane damage in the mixing, casting and placing stages of anti-fungal mortar and concrete
– Prevents the appearance of unsightly mold or rust stains on concrete surfaces